One of the difficult parts of Civil Service Exam is the part of Logic Questions. Nakakalito naman kasi talaga. Ano nga ba ang sikreto para madaling masagutan ang mga Logic Questions? Pero bago ang lahat let’s have a short lecture muna.
What is Logic?
- The study of argument
- The study of criteria for distinguishing successful from unsuccessful arguments and the study of methods for applying those criteria
- An argument is a set of statements, some of which—the premises—are supposed to support, or give reasons for, the remaining statement—the conclusion
- In a successful argument the premises genuinely support the conclusion ‘genuine support’ requires the probable or guaranteed preservation of truth from premises to conclusion
- The study of related properties such as consistency, logical truth, etc.
Some Terms in Logic Questions
Statement: A statement is a declarative sentence; a sentence which attempts to state a fact—as opposed to a question, command, exclamation, etc.
Argument: An argument is a (finite) set of statements, some of which—the premises—are supposed to support, or give reasons for, the remaining statement—the conclusion
Logic: It is the study of
- (i) criteria for distinguishing successful from unsuccessful argument,
- (ii) methods for applying those criteria, and
- (iii) related properties of statements such as implication, equivalence, logical truth, consistency, etc.
Truth Value: The truth value of a statement is just its truth or falsehood; we assume that every statement has either the truth value true, or the truth value false, but not both.
Example of Argument
- Socrates is mortal, for all humans are mortal, and Socrates is human
- Given that Socrates is human, Socrates is mortal; since all humans are mortal
- All Humans are mortal, Socrates is human; therefore Socrates is mortal
Premise and Conclusion Indicators
- Premise Indicators: as, since, for, because, given that, for the reason that, inasmuch as
- Conclusion Indicators: therefore, hence, thus, so, we may infer, consequently, it follows that
NAKAKABORED ba basahin? I’m sure YES ang sagot ninyo. Mas technical pa diyan ang mga susunod ko sanang isusulat pero huwag na lang. You can click here if you want the whole copy of presentation.
May nakita ako sa internet na masasabi kong mas makakatulong sa ating pag-aaral upang masagutan ang mga Logic Questions. Ito ay mula kay sa Team Lyqa. Watch her videos. Grabe! Ang simple ng pagkapaliwanag pero naintindihan ko agad.
Logic Question #1: John is older than Jill. Jill is younger than Jack. John is older than Jack. The last statement is:
Ang tamang sagot ay C. Uncertain. Panoorin ang video kung bakit. As in! Simple lang talaga ang explanations.
Stay tune sa aming Facebook Page: Civil Service Exam PH for more tips to come! Try to answer pala ang Logic Reasoning Questions in 2017 Civil Service Exam (Items No. 101-115).